The Arts are an essential element of a Soundview education. Arts education has a number of benefits to the social, emotional, and intellectual development of children. To name just a few:
1. More time to practice being curious, creative, and inventive develops these skills for lifelong use.
2. More time spent in the arts correlates to Improved academic performance. Large scale studies show score increases of 38-50 points on SAT in verbal and math. Studying and practicing dance improves reading readiness, and music gives context for teaching language skills.
3. Using a variety of art tools develops fine motor skills at all age levels. Music and art instruction develops capacity for spatial-temporal reasoning.
4. Visual learning and thinking skills are developed. Time in the arts increases reasoning, intuition, imagination, problem-solving, and expression. Students' abilities to make abstractions and inferences are increased.
5. Working on a variety of phases of projects develops perseverance, confidence, and decision-making.
6. Language development and cultural awareness are reinforced as students talk about art and music through observations, personal connections, and historical and cultural contexts.
Art is always on display in Soundview’s hallways. Check out these 8th grade final projects. After lessons and practice with gesture, angles, proportion, shaping, and shading to indicate form, 8th grade artists created these figure drawings using various charcoal media.